Thursday, June 28, 2007

#001, Part 2...

Its still a bit "fuzzy" and needs some finish sanding, but shaping for numero uno is almost done. Its not without its flaws, but it sure was an eye opening experience. For the most part, I think I did an ok job, but I got a little carried away with the planer and surform here 'n there. What can I say, I guess I was just having too much fun! The thing is like 2" thick and the rails and tail feel super thin. I think my concaves are too deep and lack the smooth transition that I envisioned in my mind. Guess thats what I get for trying to do too much too early. Nonetheless, it should be interesting how these "mistakes" feel in the water.

Started off the night by making some rail bands. Here's a shot of post-bottom band, and post-first top band...


Not sure if the nose needs some tuning, I don't want to make it much thinner than it already is...



Here's my attempt at bottom contours. For my first board I probably should've kept things simple, but I'm glad I gave it a try. I figure its better to get some experience with these things sooner than later. Single concave under front foot...


...double concave under back foot...

...and vee out the tail...


Adjusted the lighting to bring out the concave shadows. Ooops!...a bit deeper than I intended. Will try to smooth out the concaves later.


Looking pretty ok from afar...




Just need to wait for some resin and fiberglass in the mail, and I'll attempt to glass the sucker. BTW, I'm terrified of glassing...

kc

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"mistakes are the portals to discovery."

Nuno said...

The bottom looks sweet to me... how about a five fin bonzer type setup?!

;)