Tuesday, October 9, 2007

My New Project

Sorry for the lack of updates, but I'd like to take a moment to introduce you to one of my new projects. Its called: "The Rehabilitation of a Mandala" (forgive me Manny!). Long story short, a friend and I were going opposite directions and we collided. It was only my second day on the board, and I was paddling out, while he was dropping in. The rest I'll leave to your imagination. Here are some pics to help you visualize...

A view from the bottom. Hmm, whats that strange white line on the left side?...


Closeup of the "white line". My friend's fin did some serious damage, the fin gash is about 4 inches long. Pretty clean cut though. I get chills thinking about what it would've felt like if it was my head instead. Interestingly, you can see where the cutlap separated from the bottom lam.



And rounding the rail, you'll see that the fin penetrated straight through to the deck.


On the deck side, there are these slabs of glass that got pulled up and away from the foam. Probably as the fin exited, its tip caught the edge of the glass and pulled it up. Nice how straight it peeled up, and in a perfect rectangular shape too.



Nice clean fin cut, looks like it was cut with a Ginsu knife...


I wonder if I'll be able to color match the ding repair. Actually, screw the color match, I wonder if I'll be able to match the wax job!?!


All in all, I'm not upset....(that doesn't sound like denial, does it?) Actually, when it happened, I knew I could fix it so I didn't get all bent outta shape. In fact, my friends actually got more upset than I did. Knowing how to shape and glass, having the space to do so, and having the supplies makes dings like this much less stressful (and cheaper) than before.

Most of all I'm thankful that I'm still healthy and alive. If it was my head instead, well...lets not go there.

kc

6 comments:

brownfish said...

Wow, you seem to have my luck. Last two new boards I've had (Pavel Speeddialer and Hynson BK Quad) both were in collisions on their second sessions. Both out of the water for a couple weeks. What can you do? Sounds like your taking it pretty well. Good job. I've spent a good hour reviewing you blog and it's great to see your motivation.

DP said...

You've got a great attitude - keep us posted on the fix!

KC said...

thanks guys, i'll update with fix pix soon.

Nuno said...

holy shiiiiit?!! that's too bad. good luck fixing the board bro.

Anonymous said...

The Curse of the Second Session :>(

1) Glad you're ok
2) Unreal attitude -- an example for all of us
3) Paddle around!

SurfScience said...

Ouch. I'm a little late here but I just ran into the pics of the new board with the wax job and was stoked. Bummer to see it needed some work so quickly, but you've kept a good attitude. Its probably well fixed by now, but sweet board nonetheless.