Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Oldy

(Warning: touchy-feely moment ahead...)

So i was flipping through the discussions on Swaylocks this afternoon and got caught up in a thread that might be one of the best threads (on several levels) that I've ever read on Swaylocks or any other surf-related forum (after all, how many threads about surfing and shaping really hit home?...well this one does.)

Iits about a guy who decides to document the board-building process of a quad fish. The thread is entitled, "Journey of a Quad" and spans two months and ten pages on the Swaylocks discussion forum, making it one of the longest threads of the year. For potential boardbuilders like me, it was an eye-opener and will surely be a reference when i embark on my shaping journeys.

However...

The value in spending the time to read through all ten pages comes somewhere in the middle of the thread, where the author (who goes by the name 'Oldy') blindsides us with a revealing post and an even more revealing picture. It reminds me of what "soul" is in surfing, or in this case shaping. But don't stop in the middle, it gets better near the end.

If you don't have time to read through the thread, you'll miss the gist of it and you won't know why it meant so much to myself and everyone on the forum. it might take you a while (it took me an hour), but at least look through his posts, check out his pictures, and read a few blurbs to get a sense of what he went through. Then, when you finish the thread, maybe it will have meant something to you too.

Click here to read

kc

ps. Only click this after you've read the post!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

nub! who got da b's?

Anonymous said...

That Oldy thread is amazing.

Good luck with the process. I'm just finishing my third board now and I'm totally hooked. If I can be of any assistance, let me know. I post as "Bubba" on newyorksurf.com. My most recent project is a 10'2" round pin LB. Just need to pinline, gloss coat, wax and ride. A wave would be nice.

KC said...

thanks bubba, i might need some help so don't be surprised if i drop you a pm sometime. your 10'2" sounds great, hope to see some pics of it someday, better yet, in the water!...when there are waves of course.