Saturday, May 19, 2007

Fins and The Mandala

Seems like there's some movement in the development of fin systems these days thanks to RedX, ProBox, and SurfTrux. RedX and ProBox are adjustable fin systems that allow you to move a fin forward and back depending upon surf conditions and desired performance characteristics. ProBox has the added option of adjusting the cant angle on a fin by using replaceable inserts in the finbox. And finally, I happened to hear about SurfTrux from a friend (Chris K.) a while back and I saw them pop up again while lurking Swaylocks just now. SurfTrux are the first fin system that feature dynamically adjusting fins. They adjust toe-in angles automatically while you're surfing to minimize drag and maximize maneuverability. The toe-in angle on the outside fin adjust to minimize drag produced as seen here in a pic taken from Teahupoo (notice turbulence coming off outside fin)...click here. If you're not careful, all this fin theory will put your head in a spin. But, I wouldn't be surprised if the next big innovation comes from this area of surfboard design.

In other news, a board I'd recently ordered from Manuel Caro over at Mandala Custom Shapes has been shaped and is ready for an olive green tint and bamboo glass-on fins by the wizards over at Moonlight Glassing. Manny emailed me the other day to let me know he's finished with my "olive greenie" (as he described it) and will drive it down to Moonlight in the next day or so. Check out the stunning handywork:






While on the phone to deliver the good news about my new board, Manuel threw a few words of advice and encouragement when I mentioned to him that I would soon be shaping my own boards. He also mentioned he'd be out here this summer (July?) for the grand opening of the new Mollusk surf shop in Williamsburg. Hmm, I'll have to remember that so I can shake hands with the man in hopes of gaining some shaping wisdom via osmosis.

Speaking of shaping idols, here's one that I happened to stumble upon today. His name is Erik Hakon Olson, and his shapes make me drool...make sure to check out his shapes in the archive! Wow!

Tonight I put finishing touches on my shaping stand (foam padding) and attempt to seal off my work area by stapling plastic sheeting all over the place. Pics to come soon.

kc