Tuesday, May 29, 2007

One step closer

Finally heard back from the KingMac blank distributor I submitted my order with. He finally has everything in order and will be shipping my blanks. Shipping costs sting a little though...$130! Thats for a box of five blanks. Hmm, I wonder if I'm getting ripped off? Lets see, thats $26 per blank, blanks were about $50 each. I could've gotten them locally for about $70, I guess I'm not too out of line.

Apparently, templating is not as simple as I thought. It only took reading one 3-page Swaylocks post on the topic to make me realize yet again how ignorant I can be at times.

First off, scaling up/down from an existing board isn't so straightforward. You could either scale geometrically (keeping the aspect ratio throughout), or you can use Greg Lohr's 1/8th method, or you could use the force and go by "feel" like all the master shapers seem to be able to do so well. Well, since I don't have any experience I can throw the "feel" method out the window. The geometric/aspect ratio method works up to a point, but fails thereafter. So, that leaves the Greg Lohr method, by process of elimination.

It doesn't end there either, once the template has been drawn out, I must somehow cut it out onto a piece of masonite (or similar material) without the dreaded wiggles. Or at least be able to blend them away afterwards with a plane/sanding block. Apparently, those wiggles turn into a big can of worms later, so its worth the trouble to get the template right the first time.

Sheesh, and here I thought I could just trace my old board. Silly silly me.

No comments: